David vs. Goliath (a.k.a. my former employer) Part 1


Well the day has come. I’ve finally started my internship with PassageMaker (PM) and China Sourcing Information Center (CSIC). As I said in my introduction I’ll be writing about my life here in China, and the subsequent issues that come with living (especially living in China). Boy o boy I’ve got a hell of a whopper to tell! It’s filled with so much b.s., controversy, triumphs that I may have to separate these into a few posts. The back story-

I went the route of many Poly Science majors in college thinking that I’d eventually end up going to law school. With that in mind, I took a lot of classes focused on early American politics along with Middle Eastern politics with the idea of doing international law. Now in the right group, I’m an expert in both of these fields. I also took some law classes and excelled at nit-picking my way through case law to find the R.O.L (rule of law) and other pertinent things. Fortunately this skill came through for me in the clutch! Now the meat of the story and truly a remarkable/unbelievable/ (insert cheesy Dennis Miller wordage and you get an idea) experience.

My first year in China I worked through a group called CTLC (highly recommend them if you’re interested in teaching in China) [ß shameless plug I know, but I owe ‘em one].

My second year here I didn’t get back in the group and so I went out on my own. I hired an agent (mistake #1 of many to come) and in turn they got me a job at a poorly run school whose name shall not be revealed [slander’s a bitch I’m told] in Futian district. There are 9 districts in Shenzhen btw- Luohu, Futian, Nanshan, Yantian, Bao’an, and Longgang being the main ones; {Luohu being the home of myself and PassageMaker}.

Everything seemed okay at first as it does with any job you have (crossing my fingers that the honeymoon here lasts forever because already it’s night and day in comparison between the two). Now for foreigners, to work in China we must obtain a working or Z visa. You have the Z visa, and your life in China is gravy. You don’t and you can have some real problems. Through a lot of trials and such, I finally got my visa for the school in early April (another blog of explaining needed to explain the debacle that was getting my visa).

Fast forward to June; Mike has hired me to be an intern for American owned and operated PassageMaker, and I’m thrilled to be joining PM, a company you can trust with true communication and transparency. I chose PM, over local alternatives for the same reasons you should too (seriously). I notified my school of my intent to not sign another contract with the school in mid June, within a week after getting hired by Mike. They said they were sorry to see me go (I was jumping for joy- just not at that time b/c that’s just mean). I asked for them to help with getting my cancellation letter* and they said ‘sure no problem’ hahahaha! Well let’s just say, it sure was a problem

*In order to switch jobs and visas, an employee must get a cancellation letter from the government and a release letter from your old employee. This allows your new company to get you a working visa with said company

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *